Hello, dear friends! Thank you so much for joining me for Blogmas -- Day Eleven!
Are you like me? I struggle finding things to do during Christmas. All winter, actually. I am a homebody and rarely do I go where there are large crowds because of anxiety. Home really is my favorite place to be so I'm ok with not joining in parties and the like. However, this year, I am going to take just a moment each day to enjoy Christmas even if I don't go out. Won't you join me for a few of these ideas?
First things first! Put up a tree! Or at least decorate a house plant or something!1. Watch your favorite holiday movie. Elf or The Grinch for laughs. Little Women or The Holiday for a bit of coziness.
2. Cozy up with a wonderful Christmas book, a soft blanket, a holiday candle and warm drink.
3. Tour your city’s lights on the computer. You can even find light displays in other countries. Just Google it! Or find a display on Youtube!
4. One of my favorite things to do is watch the birds. I will fill up the feeders and watch the winter birds come for a visit. They are so funny. Many different personalities! If you aren't in a place where you can have bird feeders or can't see the birds, you can visit Cornell Labs feeder cams. I watch those as well. Here is the link
5. Make small gifts for your neighbors. A homemade treat or thoughtful note spreads joy in the simplest, sweetest way. Seek out that one that doesn't have family, especially. You may just make a life-long connection.
6. Tour a museum online. Many famous museums have a few virtual tours and/or their collections displayed on their websites. Maybe there is a Christmas museum! Or how about touring the Hearst Castle or Nemours Estate.
6. Tour a museum online. Many famous museums have a few virtual tours and/or their collections displayed on their websites. Maybe there is a Christmas museum! Or how about touring the Hearst Castle or Nemours Estate.
7. Make a nostalgic holiday treat. You know which one I'm talking about. It's the one you never got until the family all got together at Grandma's house for Christmas! Fruitcake cookies and "Texas Trash" were those treats for us. I don't like the cookies but give me a big bowl of trash and I'm happy as Santa on the day after Christmas!
8. Experiment with hot tea. Take a couple different flavored tea bags and brew them together. My favorite is Vanilla Chai and Gingerbread tea bags. See what new flavors you can come up with! And don't forget the whipped cream and spices!
9. Read a holiday storybook from your childhood. Maybe it is a modern classic like "Polar Express" or a true classic like "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson. For an added bit of nostagia, read it outloud to someone or just yourself. It's ok...I read outloud all the time!
10. Is there a classic movie you never got around to watching? Maybe an old black and white? My daughter and I both love the old B&W movies. Find one set at Christmas! "Meet Me In St. Louis" or "The Bells of St. Mary's" are good ones. Of course there is always the original "Miracle on 34th Street" and "It's A Wonderful Life!". It might take a minute to wrap your brain around something as simple as those movies but once you do, it might become a holiday tradition.
11. Make an actual phone call to someone you haven't spoken to for awhile. For me, it will be my Aunt. She is 93 and one of the greatest women I have ever known. She is the oldest of my Daddy's siblings. I always enjoy talking to her but she doesn't speak well these days. Sharp as a tack but her voice quivers so bad. Anyhow, call that person you've been meaning to call!
12. Google unique Christmas cookie recipes or how about one from the country your ancestor came from. I will be making Scottish Shortbread and Sirupsnipper (no, I can't pronounce it but I sure can make it!).
14. If you have a record player, find some old Christmas albums. Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Jim Nabors, Brenda Lee always bring a nostalgic feeling to a home. Playing records and dancing in the kitchen, even alone, will brighten your day.
15. Light a nice smelling Christmas candle and watch it snow...or rain or if it's gray and cloudy, curl up in your chair and doze off for a few minutes. When you wake up, sit quietly and watch out the window.
16. Make a special "dinner for one", set the proper table, light a candle, drink your water or tea out of a wine goblet...or have a glass of wine if that's your preference. If there are two of you, then that is even more special. Make a big deal out of it!
17. Turn off the lights! Only use candles, oil lamps or just the tree lights to go about your business. Write a letter or read a book by that light.
18. Make sure to go outside for a few minutes every day...even if it's cold, wet and yucky! Fresh air goes a long way in staying healthy. No you won't catch a cold if you go out. If you can't go outdoors at least open a window and breath in the crisp air for a few minutes.
19. Reflect on your year with someone you love. If you are blessed with a fireplace, or even if it's just a video of one on Youtube, just sit and talk quietly. Talk about the highs, the lows, and everything in between. Your hopes. Your dreams. Even if you know they will likely never happen. It is good to dream! Tell about what Jesus means to you or simply hold hands and enjoy the quiet.
20. Slow down and savor the season. Think about the peace of God. Read the Christmas story from a real Bible. Take a moment to thank God for sending His son to die for you so that you can have the gift of eternal life, just for the asking. Think about what that means... Sometimes the best way to celebrate the season is to look deep inside and see what your faith looks like. Maybe it's time to change what you see. Pray for loved ones that don't yet understand the magnitude of the gift God sent to us as a baby in a lowly manger. Don't forget to pray for yourself.
Friends, I hope you will take some time to make your personal Christmas season a bit special. Even if it's just five minutes a day...do something just for you. Do something silly and have a good laugh while your at it!
Thank you so much for visiting on this Blogmas day. I hope you will come back.
Grace & Peace,
Pam





Beautiful thoughts, smiles. I have to get out every day, as I work, LOLOL. Wishing you a lovely day.
ReplyDelete