This past week has been just a normal week around here. Nothing happening just dull and boring.
The sun finally came out and some of y'all will get just how that simple thing can snap you out of a funk. I still wasn't in the mood to go to church because I continue to struggle with the topic of my last post, but I got up, pulled myself together the best I could and we went anyway. I have been not involving myself in the meet & greet, hugging, and all those things. I am still reeling from being down and not able to attend church for a month, and nobody from church calling to see why. I don't have a big ego that needs to be stroked. I really don't but I feel like if you are going to call yourself a "church family" then you should check on others. Anyhow...that was also playing into my mood, last week so I barely spoke to anyone.
The scripture, this morning, was Matthew 5:13-16.
Believers Are Salt and Light
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. (NKJV)
The Pastor posed a question to us. It was something like this. "If you were being charged, in a court of law, for your walk with God, would your life be enough to convict you? Are your words and actions evidence of your walk with God?"
Of course, I thought, "oh yeah! I'm going down!"
But hold up a minute because the next question was, "How would you grade yourself at work, around others, or at home? What grade would others give you? Are you being salt and light...is your light shining so bright, that there isn't any doubt who you are in God?"
I stopped and had to reflect on the past few weeks. My grade would be a "D"..."C" at best...maybe.
The Paster once again asked about our actions and if it would be enough to convict us. Still pretty sure I would be convicted but he threw in a curve ball.
"What are you watching on tv? Listening to on the radio? Are you joining in gossip? Or listening to some off color joke and laughing? Are you just sitting there or will you get up and walk away? Do people stop gossiping or telling the dirty jokes, when you walk in because they know you are a Christian? That you might be offended? Or...do they keep right on doing what they were doing? If they continue then you might want to check to see how bright your light is shining."
I don't have any dealings with people who do those things because most people I am around know that I will be offended and likely start preaching but I do occasionally watch or read something that I shouldn't. I don't even realize it sometimes.
I, also, wondered how strangers see me. Say, at the grocery store? Is my Jesus light shining brightly? Am I being salt & light? Could they say that I was guilty of being a Christian? Would I stand convicted? I know, that is one thing I hope I would be sentenced for. We should all strive to be convicted for that.
What about you? Would you be convicted? Is your light shining brightly and glorifying God? What grade do you deserve? A+ or F?
Grace & Peace,
Pam

I am sorry you are feeling out of sorts. The sun really helps my husband sometimes struggles in the winter with those feelings. He tries to get outside as much as possible, it helps him. Also so sorry you are feeling let down my your church.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Wow, such a powerful post my friend...and I hope whatever ails you, you get to feeling better.
ReplyDelete