Thursday, July 7, 2016

I miss...




...the handwritten letter.  There is nothing better than receiving a handwritten letter in the mailbox!  The anticipation of reading the words written inside, was almost as good as the letter itself!  I never quite made it back inside before I opened and read the entire letter!  Then, once inside,  I would get a glass of iced tea or a cup of coffee and take it, and the precious letter, and sit on the porch to read it again.  I miss reading about Sally's grandchildren and Myrtle's cow, Beulah, or about the mysterious new neighbor across the way, from Jenny.  

Oh I know we have email but that is so...so...cold, dry, and impersonal!  I have never gotten excited over an email...or a tweet...or a facebook post...never!  Don't get me wrong, if that is the only way I will hear from someone, it is better than nothing but seeing an envelope with a loved ones handwriting on the front is pure bliss!  

And what about love letters!  Don't you miss love letters in the mailbox?  I've been married for a long time but I still have all the letters my Mister and I wrote back before there was such a thing as email!  He traveled with his job and I missed him terribly but when I got one of his letters, I was over the moon!  

I used to have pen pals all over the USA, when I was in school!  I loved hearing about what other kids did and how their school's were.  There was always a fair amount of doodling in those letters, too.  Somewhere along the way, probably around the time I was raising kids, I stopped writing letters so much.  I didn't get many either.  Now, some thirty odd years later, I realize what a lost treasure the handwritten letter has become.  Same with the telephone call but that is another post for another time.

What about you?  Do you miss sending and receiving letters through the mail?  If you do, maybe we can write to one another!


Grace & Peace

2 comments:

  1. I miss it also Mrs. G. but due to fatigue, I don't have the energy to write much...but it is lovely to receive a card or a letter in the mail :0) maybe we can do it together, as long as we can share once a month ;D mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! a woman after my own heart. I just stopped by your blog for the first time to take a peek. Yes, there is nothing better than getting a real letter in the mail. In fact, one of my resolutions this year was to mail at least one letter to someone every month. I am ashamed to say I only managed to mail two and here it is July. I think you have inspired me to get out my stationary. Blessings to you. :)

    ReplyDelete