Monday, September 1, 2014

Simple prayers




Sometimes I feel as if I'm all prayed out.  I can't find anymore words.  Does this happen to you?  I was just reading Elisabeth Elliot's book, Keep A Quiet Heart, and came across this.
"Christians in the Orthodox Church use a prayer called the Jesus Prayer... the words are simple, but they cover everything we need to ask for ourselves and others;  Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Us... The Jesus Prayer was one my husband Add and I often used together when he was dying of cancer, when we seemed to have 'USED UP' all the other prayers..."

So many times, especially when I am praying for my family, I feel as if I have "used up" all the prayers.  I become discouraged and the feeling my prayers are inadequate.  During those times, I should remember, God already knows what we need.  He knows what our loved ones need. All we have to do is utter a simple prayer from the heart.  Whether it's a simple, "Lord have mercy on us" or maybe praying "The Lord's Prayer", if it comes from the heart, our simple little prayers will speak volumes to the Lord.  


Grace & Peace.
Granny Love You!

5 comments:

  1. Jesus knows our heart and we don't often need words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true, Cratus! So often, the only thing I can muster is a groan and a tear, but God knows.

    Grace & Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true sister, he knows before we ask. Sometimes I simply ask.........Lord, your will be done, which is most likely the best prayer to pray. Blessings friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are precious words! And are filled with the best wisdom. Thank you for sharing.
    Warmly and fondly, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I used to love listening to Elisabeth Elliot's radio program years ago. She had such a beautiful, calming voice that used to just soothe my weary spirit. I especially remember hearing, "...and underneath are the everlasting arms."...I believe she used that verse nearly every program.

    I had just thought to myself this morning that my prayer journal pages for the past week are nearly identical to each other. God knew I needed this message--thank you for delivering it. :-)

    ReplyDelete